Add to GoogleReader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

11.29.2012

You Don't Know You're Beautiful ?!


Ok, guys. I don't get this One Direction thing, do you? It's like the return of the boy band and I'm not into it. But whatever, I can deal with being out of the loop on tween music. Here's what bugs me though:

Baby you light up my world like nobody else,The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed,But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell,You don't know,Oh oh,You don't know you're beautiful,
That's what makes you beautiful

Read more: One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful Lyrics 


Anyone else see a problem with this?! Ugh, I'm so over songs where guys fall ass over ear-lobe for girls with no confidence. Paging: Bruno Mars, John Mayer, Maroon 5, etc. Come on! Is that what you really want to say to girls - having low self-esteem, now that's a turn-on, baby!

Here's what I hear: OH baby, you're insecurity makes you seem like a great person for me to date because I love having someone around who has no idea of their own self-worth and consequently will be easily convinced to do whatever I say. 

Let me say this for pop music: Thank GOD for Beyonce... :) And for girls? Real men LIKE a girl with confidence. 

2 comments:

  1. I suppose that is one way to look at it. It's a very cynical way to look at it but hey, that's your opinion. I think that you could also view that as: finding a humble woman attractive or finding shyness attractive. No one like the cocky guy and that is equally true of a cocky girl. Beyonce puts out the idea of "I'm hot and you need to earn me because I'm special."

    It occurs to me that not many people generally like the guy/girl that has the Beyonce mentality. Who wants to be around the cool kid who thinks they are cool and have to prove it every second?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point, anon - no one likes someone who's cocky. And Beyonce can't be everyone's cup of tea. But knowing you're beautiful/hot - and believing that a partner should "earn" the right to be with you is not the same as being cocky. Young girls need to learn that valuing themselves does not mean they are cocky, or stuck-up, or un-date-able. It means that they respect themselves enough to only seek partners who will respect and value them also. Being shy and or/humble is great - worthy of value and respect - but low-self esteem should never be encouraged. It is, unfortunately, those girl lacking confidence who often find themselves in unhealthy and/or dangerous relationships. And as pop music (and boy bands) are HUGE influences on young girls, I think the message they convey should be critically (and even cynically) analysed. That's my opinion.

      Delete

Have a thought? Share with the class!