True story: I organized a chili cook-off for work last week. The goal? Raise money for breast cancer screenings - and boy, did we! Over $600 later, I think it was a success.
And my (ahem, prize winning) submission? Cilantro Lime Chicken Chili.
|Note- this is not my chili. The actual chili in question was eaten too fast to photograph.|
You know I don't really do recipes - I just throw stuff together and hope it works. Well, this one did and I can't wait to make it again since I barely got half a bowl once the hordes were done with it.
Here's the play by play:
- Dice and saute a whole white onion with olive oil and garlic.
- Add a package of ground chicken to your pan. I like to score it a bit first so the chicken pieces are really small.
- Sprinkle the meat with spices - cumin, white pepper, chili powder, curry powder, onion salt. Adjust to your taste, but I say the more the merrier.
- Once cooked, throw the chicken into the crock pot and top with 1 small can salsa, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can spinach (trust me here) and 2 cans white beans. Stir together and let cook for several hours at least.
- Add in the juice of half a lime and a generous handful of chopped cilantro, and one red chili (diced and de-seeded). Stir, and let meld -up to another few hours, if you like.
- Serve and enjoy!!