Add to GoogleReader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

5.10.2012

Praying at the Altar of Technology

droidism
here
Do you ever feel like you pray to the altar of technology? Sure, C3P0 might make a benevolent overlord, but who knows the true motives of our Dell workstations and iPhones?  

Some nights it really hits me: I've spent all day with some kind of screen in front of my face -  my computer for 8 hours, my cell phone and my TV in the evenings. If I got a kindle to read on, I'd eliminate the only real non-tech entertainment media I use. 

I'll wander out to the porch, intending to read or log-on to Pinterest, and I'll realize: maybe I don't need to be entertained. Maybe I can just sit here, watch the clouds roll in and wait for the spring rains to fall. If I squint my eyes a bit, to obscure the parked cars and telephone wires, I can almost imagine living in a time where this week's blockbuster was an impressive sunset over the mountains and a text message was a particularly poignant verse of scripture. Sure, people back then would have died for a chance to watch the new Avengers movie in 3-D but that doesn't mean we shouldn't remember to value the simple things. So tonight, I'm going to enjoy some face-to-face time with family, read a little, and watch the stars. 

Hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Share with the class!