So, despite my current infatuation with Bruges, I'm still researching other options for our day trip from Paris. Next option? Luxembourg. It's easy to do - about a 2 hour train - and how cool is it to say you've been to Luxembourg??
Reasons Luxembourg is cool:
- The country has the highest national GDP per capita - you won't find many beggars in Luxembourg City, I'd wager.
- It's the world's only remaining grand duchy - meaning the constitutional monarchy is headed by a Grand Duke, not a king.
- Luxembourgish is a national language - don't you love that name? It's like it's a little bit Luxembourg - ish...with some other stuff thrown in. Which, knowing the Romance languages, may not be too far off.
Things to see in Luxembourg City:
- The old town and the fort are UNESCO World Heritage sites dating back to the Roman Empire.
- On the opposite architectural spectrum is the I.M. Pei designed Museum of Modern Art.
All in all, I think it looks great. Not sure it beats out Bruges for day trip romance and appeal, but definitely on the list for "sometime." Thoughts?