Add to GoogleReader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

9.30.2011

Open Road

Pinned Image
From here via Pinterest
I pretty much go on a road trip every other weekend, when I drive up north to visit my boyfriend. But this weekend, we're adding an extra two hours to that commute. And instead of being testy about the extra mileage, I'm actually really excited! We're visiting friends up in Michigan and something about crossing that border always feels like taking a vacation.

Maybe it's the years of summer and winter break trips to cottages on lakes throughout the state
(goal in life: always have a friend with a cottage in Michigan). 
Or the friendly vibe of Michiganders.
Or the Ray's Fresh Lake Perch sandwich I eat whenever we drive through Grand Haven.
Whatever the reason, open road: here I come.


And if you find yourself on a road towards the Great Lakes, here are few of my favorite MI stops:

- The Common Grill, Chelsea: Worth driving out of your way for, this gourmet eatery is the highlight of cute, small town Chelsea. I insist you try the Warm Chocolate Fallen Cake. You. Will. Die.
Pictured Rocks (Sorry the quality sucks, we had a '90s moment with a disposable camera...)
-Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, UP: The Boy and I braved the eerie quiet (wait, do you hear banjos??) of the UP and backpacked along the shores of Lake Superior this summer. With water so blue you'll swear you're in the Caribbean, and wind-carved, sandstone cliffs to climb, this is a magical place to get away.

- The Metivier Inn: Ok, say you want something a little more genteel for your getaway. May I then suggest the Metivier, a sweet B&B on quaint Mackinaw Island. And though I liked the cutesy decor, the charming staff, and the beautiful car-less locale, the real reason I love the Metivier is because they fed me free fudge every afternoon for "tea." Score.

Have a good weekend, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Share with the class!